Room 05 - Misericórdia Church
In 1550, the administrative building of Misericórdia do Porto on Rua das Flores was operational and the church, on its southern side, was blessed in 1559 by the bishop of Porto Don Rodrigo Pinheiro. In that same year is indicated as master of the work, Manuel Luís.
The blessing of the church, however, did not imply that it was already completed. Only in 1564 the barrel vault with granite caissons covering the nave was completed and finishes continued until 1568. In the frontispiece, recessed from the front of the administrative building of Misericórdia, the church showed a Corinthian portic.
In the eighteenth century, due to structural problems largely caused by the high concentration of moisture, a deep intervention in the church was required (1748-54). It was conducted by the painter-architect Nasoni, who designed the current Baroque façade, and by the engineer Manuel Alves Martins, who produced the plants for the new choir.